Thursday, February 12, 2009

Not Such a G'Day

It isn't often that Australia is a hot topic in American news, but the massive wildfires this past weekend have received a lot of media coverage. I am shocked by the severity of these fires and their widespread destruction - and the idea that it could have been arson is just infuriating.

But....

I am having a REALLY hard time reading articles about these wildfires without "hearing" the quotes in my head in a thick, Aussie accent. It's really taking away from the gravity of the situation. Today's newspaper quote is from Jon Rowden, the president of a wildlife rescue group: "There's no doubt across that scale of landscape and given the intensity of the fires, millions of animals would have been killed."

That is a terrible and sad quote. Still, I couldn't even type it just now without my brain converting it into a pretty dismal recreation of an Australian lilt. For shame.

Also, I just realized I made an unintentional pun to start this post. That's not helping!

No comments: